Friday, September 28, 2012

Anime Obsessed

I've been an anime fan for a very long time. When I was young I would run home after school to catch two hours of Toonami, an anime program that would play on Cartoon Network for 3 hours. The shows were the likes of Rurouni Kenshin, Gundam Wing, Samurai Champloo,Dragon Ball Z, Ronin Warriors, Tenchi Muyo, etc. I was enthralled by them. Not only were they beautifully animated but the stories were compelling and epic. To this day I have yet to see a television series with a story arc as wonderfully dynamic and intricate as that of Gundam Wing. It wasn't a television series, it was an epic.  I of course could not read katakana at the time but it was always displayed in the titles of these programs, so I suppose my exposure to katakana began unwittingly at a very young age.

Eventually I graduated to anime movies such as Ninja Scroll, Howl's Moving Castle, and Akira. These also had compelling and immersive stories that I respected and admired. Particularly Akira I found interesting because of the many subversive counter-culture themes and questions of morality it challenged the viewer to think about. It's famously ambiguous ending was also very thought-provoking. I would recommend it to anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment